A web-based facility for storing and access of sub-national agricultural statistical data files from the country source. National focal points are responsible for maintaining the database.
- Agricultural Statistics of IRAN 2005
- Country Profile of FAO Statistical Year Book 2006
- Metadata for National Agricultural Statistics
MINISTRY OF JAHAD–E-AGRICULTURE
DEPUTY PLANNING AND ECONOMY
BUREAU OF STATISTICS AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Bureau of Statistics and Information Technology is one the subdivisions of Deputy Planning and Economy, Ministry of Jahad-e-Agriculture which takes overall responsibility for information management of agricultural sector. In order to fulfill this purpose, creating and collecting, organizing and processing of statistics and information, analysis and interpretation of satellite data, establishment of required statistical information and computer systems, presenting computer services, and data processing, and creation of information network are on Bureau’s agenda.
Activities and services of this bureau are divided into the following five sections:
1 Statistical Activities
2 Computer Services
3 Internet and Intranet Services
4 Remote Sensing and Geographical Information Systems
5 Information Services
1 Statistical Activities:
Statistical activities of this bureau include survey and recognition of the statistical requirements of different subdivisions, that is, design, formulation and execution of the required statistical projects, establishment of a system for registered statistics of Ministry and promotion of statistical knowledge among agricultural officials and holders. Main activities in this field are as follows:
Statistical Study and Surveys
- Surveying and recognizing statistical requirements
- Surveying the procedures and presenting optimized solutions to promote quality of produced
- Research on using new statistical sampling methods Planning and Formulation of Statistical
- To study, survey and select required plans and projects
- To design, plan and specify statistical methods and provide typical and technical plans
- To analyze the collected data Performing Fieldwork and Data Collection
- Determining required facilities and organization of statistical projects
- Preparing questioners and statistical sampling instructions, supervision, technical review, text
editing and obtaining the results
- Supervising the execution of fieldwork and presenting the required solutions during the
execution of statistical projects
- Annual statistical data collection programs for wheat, barley, rice, and other crops are being
implemented. Estimation of crops production cost is also implemented.
Design and implementation of required systems for registered data
- Identification and classification of (registered) statistical requirements of all Ministry’s
- Customizing the methodology of design and implementation approach
2 Computer Software & Hardware Services:
These Services including information network establishment, creation of central database and presenting through Internet, design & development of required computer systems, promoting informatics knowledge within the Ministry, providing standards for applying information systems and giving services to the provincial Jahad-e-Agriculture organizations and other sections. Other activities are as follows:
Software design and services
- Analysis, design and implementation of software applications.
- Consultation & supervision of selection and execution of software projects consultants.
Software and Hardware Support
- Updating agricultural databanks according to the results of agricultural projects.
- providing technical services for designing, development and supporting and also
implementation of programs and agricultural special databanks to organizations
and different offices of the Ministry.
- Technical troubleshooting of computers
- Supervision over hardware equipments in the Ministry Local Area Network and also in the
provinces, supervision over design and implementation of these networks.
- Hardware maintenance of Local Area Networks, qualitative and quantitative upgrading of these
- Management and maintenance of connection lines and channels of Local Area Networks and
remote connections of provinces and Internet connections.
3 Internet and Intranet Services:
This bureau offers most of its services by relying on experts technical knowledge and by using technology of communication era in order to provide an appropriate methods to equip computer networks and communication systems and also to promote the scientific and technical information levels of colleagues within the Ministry. These services include:
- Local Area Network design and implementation within the Ministry’s headquarter
and related organizations.
- Wide Area Network connection establishment through leased lines and wirelesses modems.
- Sub-domain registration from agri-jahad.org domain.
- Space allocation for web hosting.
- E-mail address allocation to Internet users.
- Designing web- based applications Facilities
- 40 telephone lines are available for connection with Ministry Intranet network.
- 2 high speed 2mbps connection lines with country’s scientific network
- 3 high speed 64 kbps connection lines.
- Asymmetric connection of 350 kbps and 250 kbps.
4 Remote Sensing and GIS
Implementing several agricultural applied projects with the aim of producing land use/land cover maps, providing an estimation of area under cultivation for different crops, change detection studies for cultivated land/orchard land and development of provincial GIS are the main activities of this section. Some more detailed activities of this section are as follows:
- Producing land use/land cover maps for different provinces.
- Updating the existing maps using recent satellite data.
- Land use/land cover change detection studies.
- Estimation of area under cultivation using remotely sensed data.
- Development of crop forecasting system.
- Development of provincial GIS.
- Financial support and training to provincial organizations for initiating remote sensing and GIS
- Cooperation with international organizations such as FAO & ITC.
- Different types of satellite data such as, TM, ETM, SPOT, IRS, RADAR, and IKONOS.
- Standalone and network PCs, and workstations.
- Geomatica,ER–MAPPER,ARC/INFO,and ARC/VIEW software
- Digitizing table, color scanner, plotter, and GPS
5 Information Services
The other task of this bureau includes processing, organizing and disseminating statistics and information related to agricultural sector (e.g. publications, CDs, brochures and databanks) to officials, researchers and international organizations. Here are some main activities:
- Presenting agricultural data banks
- Preparing weekly meteorological reports for relevant officials
- Extraction, processing and dissemination of statistical information in agriculture sector
- Providing and presenting statistical reports and publications
- Compiling crops illustrated publications
- Compiling agricultural newsletters and bulletins
- Preparing and distribution of statistical and information brochures
- Providing library services on statistics and related fields
- Providing information through the voice line
General Status of Food and Agriculture Statistics in Iran
This document was prepared by the FAO regional project "Improvement of Agricultural Statistics in Asia and Pacific Countries" (GCP/RAS/171/JPN) and the Agricultural Statistics and Information Department (ASID) of the Ministry of Agriculture (MOA) in Iran, for identification of the current status, systems, issues and future improvement on agricultural statistics in Iran. To achieve this purpose, the Project implemented an In-depth Review on the food and agriculture statistics in Iran on February 2001, and requested the ASID to compile technical papers on the various fields of the food and agriculture statistics based on the obtained knowledges of the In-depth Review. The ASID identified appropriate resource persons for compilation of the technical papers. [Download report in PDF format, 231 kb]
Contact address of Food and Agricultural Statistics in Iran
Bureau of Statistics & Information Technology
Ministry of Jahad-e-Agriculture
Tel.: (98-21) 6122141
Fax: (98-21) 88270170
Other related links: